Monday, July 03, 2006

Running air through your fingers

Its that time of year again, yup Tourist season. The Merritt Mountain Music Fest is a little more than a week away and people are already in town so they can get a good campsite up there on the festival Grounds.
You can tell the tourists as you drive along, Most likely they are wearing some type of colored (pink ) or sparkling cowboy hats and /or they have their hand out side the car window playing with the air as they drive by. It looks like they are waving at you, ((And sometimes I wave back just because I can ha ha ha)). They move there fingers like they are doing hand exercises and wave there arm up and down from the elbow, kind of a lazy , flowing motion that lets the dry hot air flow over their hands and through their fingers. How do I know this, well, I hate to admit it ,but, way back when, I was a tourist to the area to!!! And YUP you guessed it I got great enjoyment from feeling the strangeness of the dry , silken air rushing through and around my hand here in the Thompson, Okanagan Area. Still it brings a smile to my face when I see it, and the thought "tourist" passes through my mind. I love tourist season, everyone is so friendly and happy when on holiday (( well most everyone, there are those few that nothing seems to make them happy )) Anyway I try to be as friendly as I can back when I am in town, but I have to admit that the week of music fest I STAY HOME!! Way to many people for me ha ha ha. This year with Sammi working at Wal Mart, I will have to brave the crowds driving in our small town. This is a scary thought as last year forgetting that it was Music Fest I went downtown, well I headed that way, I got to the main road going through out small town and cars were lined up in all 4 directions. I was in the left hand turn lane , and thank God we have a light now for that, and I had waited about 4 or 5 lights to finally get to be first in line. While waiting for the light to change the people directly across from me missed a light, why I don't know but he didn't move and the person behind him got out of his car and dragged that other driver out of there car and a fist fight started , right there in the middle of the intersection. Dammed if I was going to miss my light and get beaten up also, so I turned went around them and proceeded to go home with out stopping in town. One more thing as I turned the corner about 3 cars back on the road I was turning onto was a cop car, he was just sitting waiting, weather he knew and didn't care about the fight or hadn't seen it I don't know, Although how he could miss it makes me wonder what was occupying his attention as they were stopping traffic by that time, Ahhh the joys of the "Old West".

No comments: